How to pack for yourself and prepare your family for a long distance move
If you've decided to pack for your long distance move yourself, quality movers will offer a variety of packing supplies as well as valuable advice on the best ways to pack. While packing for yourself will save money, keep in mind that the movers are not responsible for any damage that may occur to the contents of the boxes you packed.
Here are just a few tips on how to pack for yourself:
- Never work with boxes that are too large because more than likely they will be too heavy and may burst open.
- Pack your boxes fully and tightly. Half-full boxes might collapse if they are stacked which could very well ruin the contents. It helps if you use crumpled newspapers to fill in the gaps inside the boxes.
- Pack your computers and electronics inside their original boxes, if possible. Make sure to back up your files before you pack. You'll then want to safely store the backup files along with your other valuables.
- Label your boxes using the name of the room they were originally in. Label them on two sides just in case the boxes are stacked on top of each other. It's also a good idea to label your boxes with a short description of the contents.
- Never transport valuables like expensive jewellery with your other belongings. Take them with you.
Plan fun activities for the kids during a long distance car ride. Also carry snacks, drinks, blankets, and pillows for comfort. Make it a fun road trip to start your new life.